Before I start, just one explanation because you will see below that there is a new step added and another step is in a different place in order. The new step is adding flushing the hot water tank out during this process. Because when I winterized it was too cold to do this, I waited until now. Do it before you dewinterize so that you don't push any of the minerals and gunk that accumulate in the hot water tank to go into your plumbing. Here is how to FLUSH THE HOT WATER TANK. The step changed in order is putting the hot water tanks operation off of bypass. To avoid putting any remaining anti-freeze (if there even is any) into the hot water tank. When on city water, the hot water tank just fills on its own as long as it is not bypassed.
OK - HERE WE GO!
- KEEP THE HOT WATER TANK IN BYPASS WHEN STARTING.
- SET TANK VALVES TO SUMMER MODE.
- FILL THE TWO FRESH WATER TANKS.
- TURN ON THE BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH.
- TURN ON THE WATER PUMP.
- TURN ON COLD SIDE OF SINK – RUN UNTIL ALL PINK COMES OUT AND CLEAR WATER RUNS. TURN ON HOT SIDE OF SINK.
- OPEN SHOWER DRAIN IN FLOOR.
- TURN ON COLD ON SHOWER UNTIL CLEAR, REPEAT FOR HOT.
- FLUSH TOILET.
- TURN ON COLD OUTSIDE SHOWER UNTIL CLEAR, REPEAT FOR HOT.
- TURN OFF WATER PUMP AND BATTERY SWITCH.
- OPEN HOT WATER TANK AND FLUSH WITH FLUSH STICK.
- REPLACE ANODE ROD. CLOSE HOT WATER HEATER DOOR.
- LEAVE WATER PUMP OFF.
- CONNECT HOSE TO CITY WATER LINE WITH PRESSURE REGULATOR.
- TURN ON HOSE AND REPEAT STEPS 6 TO 10.
- NEXT SANITIZE TANKS.
Note - this section was updated in May 2015
- TURN HOT WATER BYPASS VALVES TO HOT WATER FLOW.
- USE CITY WATER LINE TO FILL HOT WATER TANK BY RUNNING CITY WATER INTO THAT TANK. (NOT CITY WATER FILL - REGULAR USE OF CITY WATER)
- DISCONNECT CITY WATER CONNECT FROM HOSE.
- PUT ONE HALF CUP BLEACH INTO THE FRONT EXTERIOR FRESH TANK. (PRE-MIX THE BLEACH IN A GALLON JUG OF WATER BEFORE PUTTING IT INTO THE FRESH TANK - DO NOT PUT PURE BLEACH INTO THE TANK.)
- PUT ONE QUARTER CUP BLEACH INTO THE REAR INTERIOR FRESH TANK. (PRE-MIX THE BLEACH IN A GALLON JUG OF WATER BEFORE PUTTING IT INTO THE FRESH TANK - DO NOT PUT PURE BLEACH INTO THE TANK.)
- TOP OFF WATER IN TANKS WITH HOSE.
- DRIVE BACK AND FORTH TO MIX THE BLEACH INTO THE WATER.
- TURN ON BATTERY SWITCH AND WATER PUMP.
- **TURN ON EACH FAUCET HANDLE PLUS INSIDE AND OUTSIDE SHOWER ONE HANDLE AT A TIME SMELLING FOR BLEACH TO COME THROUGH WITH EACH. NOT THE TOILET.
- LET BLEACH SIT IN TANKS FOR AT LEAST FOUR HOURS.
- DRAIN WATER TANKS.
- FILL WATER TANKS AGAIN.
- **REPEAT STEP 5 SMELLING NOW FOR NO BLEACH SMELL.
- DRAIN TANKS THROUGH THE LOW POINT DRAIN.
- REPEAT STEP 8 AND 9. IF BLEACH SMELL REPEAT FROM STEP 8.
- DRAIN TANKS OR LEAVE FULL FOR TRIP
** When you smell for bleach, run the water into a paper cup and smell the water in the cup. If you run it into the sink the bleach odor will be in the sink and you will smell bleach in the water when you go on to Step 13 after flushing with fresh water.
ADDENDUM: NEW ARTICLE ON SANITIZING THE HOT WATER TANK