Here is what you will need:
Fresh Water Hose
Water Pressure Regulator
Liquid Chlorine Bleach (Clorox or off brand is fine)
Funnel with hose on the end
Measuring Cup (for Bleach)
Small paper cups
Hot Water Tank FLUSH Wand
Ratchet wrench handle
Plumbers silicone pipe tape to put on threads of the anode rod when putting it back in.
The process - though there are a lot of steps is easy - and can go quickly. There is a lot of waiting in the process - waiting for tanks to drain, standing and filling the tanks through the door fill holes, and waiting for the bleach to work.
Here we go!
START COPYING HERE ON -
- KEEP THE HOT WATER TANK IN BYPASS WHEN STARTING.
- SET TANK VALVES TO SUMMER MODE.
- IF YOU PUT RV ANTIFREEZE INTO YOUR FRESH TANK(S) WHENWINTRIZING DRAIN THE A/F OUT OF THE TANKS NOW USING THE LOW POINT DRAIN ON THE FRONT EXTERIOR FRESH TANK
- FILL THE TWO FRESH WATER TANKS.
- AGAIN IF YOU PUT RV ANTIFREEZE INTO YOUR FRESH TANKS - DRAIN THE WATER YOU PUT IN STEP 4 AND FILL AGAIN TO FLUSH THE A/F OUT .
- TURN ON THE BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH.
- TURN ON THE WATER PUMP.
- TURN ON COLD SIDE OF SINK – RUN UNTIL ALL PINK (RV ANTIFREEZE) COMES OUT AND CLEAR WATER RUNS. TURN ON HOT SIDE OF SINK AND DO THE SAME.
- OPEN SHOWER DRAIN IN FLOOR OR POINT THE SHOWER HOSE INTO THE SINK.
- TURN ON COLD ON SHOWER UNTIL CLEAR, REPEAT FOR HOT.
- FLUSH TOILET. LET WATER RUN IN TOILET UNTIL YOU DO NOT SEE PINK WATER.
- TURN ON COLD OUTSIDE SHOWER UNTIL CLEAR, REPEAT FOR HOT.
- TURN OFF WATER PUMP AND BATTERY SWITCH.
- OPEN HOT WATER TANK AND FLUSH WITH FLUSH STICK*.
- REPLACE ANODE ROD. CLOSE HOT WATER HEATER DOOR.
- LEAVE WATER PUMP OFF.
- CONNECT HOSE TO CITY WATER LINE WITH PRESSURE REGULATOR.
- TURN ON HOSE AND REPEAT STEPS 6 TO 10.
- NEXT SANITIZE ALL FRESH TANKS.
* GO TO THIS ARTICLE TO FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH FLUSHING THE HOT WATER HEATER TANK USING A FLUSH WAND.
START COPYING AGAIN FROM HERE
- TURN HOT WATER BYPASS VALVES TO HOT WATER FLOW.
- CONNECT A FRESH WATER HOSE WITH A WATER PRESSURE REGULATOR ONTO THE CITY WATER FILL CONNECTION.
- USE CITY WATER LINE TO FILL HOT WATER TANK BY RUNNING CITY WATER INTO THAT TANK. (NOT CITY WATER FILL - REGULAR USE OF CITY WATER) GO TO THE SINK, TURN ON HOT WATER AT SINK. AIR WILL COME OUT - AND THE TANK WILL FILL. WHEN IT IS FULL THE WATER WILL RUN STEADILY FROM THE FAUCET. DO NOT TURN ON HOT WATER SWITCH. THIS WILL BE COLD WATER AND THAT IS WHAT NEEDS TO BE.
- DISCONNECT CITY WATER CONNECT FROM HOSE.
ONE HALF CUP BLEACH INTO THE FRONT EXTERIOR FRESH TANK. (PRE-MIX THE BLEACH IN A GALLON JUG OF WATER BEFORE PUTTING IT INTO THE FRESH TANK - DO NOT PUT PURE BLEACH INTO THE TANK.) A FUNNEL WITH A HOSE ON THE END IS EASIEST TO GET THE BLEACH/WATER MIX INTO THE FRESH TANK THROUGH THE DOOR FILL HOLE.
ONE QUARTER CUP BLEACH INTO THE REAR INTERIOR FRESH TANK. (PRE-MIX THE BLEACH IN A GALLON JUG OF WATER BEFORE PUTTING IT INTO THE FRESH TANK - DO NOT PUT PURE BLEACH INTO THE TANK.) IF YOUR ROADTREK HAS ONLY ONE FRESH TANK - SKIP THIS STEP.
- TOP OFF WATER IN TANKS WITH HOSE.
- DRIVE BACK AND FORTH TO MIX THE BLEACH INTO THE WATER.
- TURN ON BATTERY SWITCH AND WATER PUMP.
- TURN ON EACH FAUCET HANDLE PLUS INSIDE AND OUTSIDE SHOWER ONE HANDLE AT A TIME SMELLING FOR BLEACH TO COME THROUGH WITH EACH. NOT THE TOILET.
- NOW YOU WAIT.
- LET BLEACH SIT IN TANKS FOR AT LEAST FOUR HOURS. LONGER IS OK!
- DRAIN WATER TANKS.
- NOW WE REMOVE THE BLEACH FROM THE HOT WATER TANK FIRST.
- 1) The hot water tank should NOT be in bypass while sanitizing and it should remain NOT bypassed for this process. DO NOT HAVE ANY SINK FAUCET OR SHOWER FAUCET ON DURING THIS PROCESS EXCEPT WHERE AND WHEN NOTED FOR THE OUTSIDE SHOWER HOT WATER HANDLE. DO NOT TURN ON THE HOT WATER HEATER!
2) Water pump OFF.
3) Attach a fresh hose WITH A WATER PRESSURE REGULATOR to the city water inlet and a spigot outside. Turn on the water.
4) Turn on the outside shower hot water handle and open fully - step back! Only the hot water handle on the outside shower should be open. No other faucet or shower handle should be on. As the water comes rushing out of the shower (hose optional) you should smell bleach in the water.
5) Allow to run for at least 15 minutes. THIS WILL FILL AND EMPTY THE TANK AT THE SAME TIME - ABOUT THREE TO FIVE TIMES. YES THE WATER IS FLOWING DOWN THE DRIVEWAY FLUSHING THE HOT WATER TANK.
6) After a steady flow of water for 15 minutes you should no longer smell bleach in the water coming out. (To test, take a small paper cup , slow the flow of water by turning back the handle and put the cup under the streaming water coming out. Step away from where the water has been flowing and smell the water in the paper cup. You should not smell bleach.)
7) If you still smell bleach allow the water to continue to flow longer until there is no longer any smell of bleach in the water. (Use a new paper cup if you test again.)
8) Shut off the hot water outside shower handle.
9) You have now exchanged all of the water inside the 6 gallon hot water tank several times with fresh water, flushing that tank as many times.
10) Remove the hose from the city water connection.
11) PUT THE HOT WATER HEATER INTO BYPASS! You do not want to
put bleach back into the hot water tank.
- FILL FRESH WATER TANKS AGAIN.
- GO INSIDE THE ROADTREK.
- TURN ON BATTERY SWITCH AND WATER PUMP.
- **TURN ON EACH FAUCET HANDLE PLUS INSIDE AND OUTSIDE SHOWER ONE HANDLE AT A TIME SMELLING FOR BLEACH TO COME THROUGH WITH EACH. NOT THE TOILET - YOU NEVER WANT ANY BLEACH TO GO INTO THE TOILET.
- IF YOU DO NOT SMELL BLEACH (GOOD!) SKIP TO #23
- DRAIN TANKS THROUGH THE LOW POINT DRAIN.
- FILL FRESH TANKS AGAIN.
- IF BLEACH SMELL REPEAT FROM STEP #16 AFTER DRAINING FRESH TANKS.
- DRAIN TANKS OR LEAVE FULL FOR TRIP.
** When you smell for bleach, run the water into a paper cup and smell the water in the cup. If you run it into the sink the bleach odor will be in the sink and you will smell bleach in the water when you go on to Step 19 after flushing with fresh water.
STOP COPYING AND PASTE WHERE YOU LEFT OFF IN YOUR CARRY OUT DOCUMENT
IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO PUT YOUR HOT WATER HEATER INTO BYPASS LOOK HERE!
It seems like a lot but it is not. It is more waiting for the tanks to drain and the bleach to sit in the tanks than doing. The socket wrench and socket are needed to remove the anode rod from the hot water tank to flush it. If the anode rod looks as thin as a pencil REPLACE IT. If you have never flushed the hot water tank before - copy out the article linked about flushing the hot water tank. The flush wand is an important tool to have and worth the little it costs.
You can leave your grey and black tanks with the antifreeze and water that went into it in this process until you dump on your next trip.